Saturday, March 2, 2013

streeeeetch


"I can touch my head to my shins!" I say loudly as I stand and prepare to do just that. Seconds later half my body is upside down and split in half. I get a reaction of how cool, and how gross it is that my body bends like this. I straighten myself back up and proceed to sit back down while others in the area try to do my trick as well. So far, I haven't met anyone who can. I know I'm not the only one who can do it; I've just never met anyone who can.
I've always been able to do this. I've just been very flexible with my legs. I think it, and they bend. We've always had this agreement. Until I started to do yoga I had assumed I was flexible. Little did I know that just being able to touch your toes was not that flexible, I still enjoy my party trick though.
It's not just a party trick though, like a rubber band your muscles love to my stretched, sometimes even aimed and flung. Having a rubber band fight goes a lot better when they don't decide to break just as you are about to make your winning shot. The more you stretch the better you feel, the better you feel the more you want to and are able to do. It's a win win situation.
I can’t tell you how I’m able to do this, but I can tell you that stretching is one of my favourite things. I’ve found that I can hold it for longer the more I practice and eventually even go closer to my legs. I remember that my tennis coach would make me do this so he could show my trick to the other coach, and I just remained bent over giggling. How can folding my body in half be so astounding? I didn’t get it, but I do now. I took a picture once to see what I looked like. And then I got it.
It’s not just my shins that I can touch. I like to stand on two of my yoga blocks and touch the ground. That’s a thing that my body is able to do, and it’s wicked fun to show my mom and slightly gross her out, how is a body able to do this?! I’m not entirely sure, but I love that my body can.  There are days when I’ll get on my mat and I’ll just stretch for like an hour, I can’t tell you how good it feels. It’s like taking a bath for my muscles, nothing feels as good. Trust me on this, I love my baths.
I’ll bring my laptop into the bathroom with a cup of tea and I’ll bring something up on Netflix and I’ll just be soaking in bubbles and the water is so warm and everything smells so good. Stretching is just like that. Pinky promise! 
XOXO Lauryn

No comments:

Post a Comment