Saturday, March 16, 2013

Knee(d) Yoga


About three weeks ago I seriously injured my knee. After numerous doctors’ visits and crutching everywhere I finally have a diagnosis. I dislocated my knee and when I did that I partially tore the cartilage behind my knee cap, strained my ligaments and my knee cap is currently sitting 2 inches out of place. This sounds bad, and while it is I got great news that I will not have to have surgery. I am trying to keep everything in perspective.  
                This injury has been just as mentally exhausting as it has been physically. I was and am very upset by my physical limitations and how it is affecting my life. I can’t do many things that used to be a breeze before and it is very frustrating. One thing that was hard was not doing yoga. I have really come to enjoy it. I love that even though it is not very vast and intense it is a great work out. It really helps me focus and keep my mind in the right place. Having to stop this was hard to adjust to.
                However, when I went to my first physical therapy session a couple days ago my PT gave me some poses that I could do with my knee being injured. This was some very exciting news, and I came home and tried them that night. I have been incorporating this new version of yoga into my daily life and it has been a blessing.
                Yoga helps me stay focused and not only physically strengthens me but mentally strengthens me. At first I thought yoga was expensive stretching I really had no idea what it was. But after being exposed to it I have fallen in love with yoga. I would really encourage anyone to try it and to not be intimidated by the stereotypes connected to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment