Thursday, March 21, 2013

Talking TV: In Plain Sight


(image from imdb)
I was going to make this post be about finishing my first scarf and the projects and the spark that that I've found since then, but instead I decided to make this about TV.
I used to be the biggest non-fan of TV; I hated almost everything on air. Then I realized how silly that was. I stopped thinking about it was something other people watch and more of as a really long story. This idea pertains to most shows.
Books are longer than movies, but shows are longer than books, and I love that. I love having a long story with good characters and a nice moving plot, yet stability. This has changed my mindset about most TV, and I am so glad. I've discovered so many great shows that I would have totally written off and now I love them whole heatedly.
This post is really about the show I just finished, In Plain Sight; it's about a US Marshal who works for witness protection in Albuquerque, New Mexico. There's many ups and downs through the show but the strong female lead Mary Shannon gets through them all with out being a stereotype or resorting to judgments on other characters. Mary is written very well, she is a strong independent female who has spent her whole life taking care of her family, especially after her father walked out when she was seven.
Mary carries this with her throughout the whole series, she constantly tries to protect everyone around her, and this is not done in a mollycoddling way, but instead through witty sarcasm, banter with her partner Marshall Mann, and a strong clear determination. The character states several times through the series that she is not a hugger, and it was said in at least one episode that she isn't a people person; to me this makes Mary more likable. The fact that even though she might not be able to stand people, or even trust them most times that she will still risk her lives to protect them, criminal or not if it is her job she will do it. The cold hard truth will be given to the witnesses and they have to continue on.
In one episode Mary tells her mother who is an alcoholic that better people than her have been through worse, while this seems very mean and at the time it was, her mother actually listens to it and later repeats it back to Mary. Instead of seeing only the bitter in the statement she could decipher what Mary meant and has grown from it.
All of the characters start off one way and slightly one dimensional even though the writing is good, but very soon do we see that they have so many more dimensions and that you will want to see them through. By the end of the show the characters have grown and changed so much, even into beings you wouldn't think they could be, and they do things that would be out of character in the beginning but because of the journeys they have gone on during the five seasons they are now in character and you are rooting for each person to be happy, and they are. Whether or not the ending is exactly what you wanted, everyone is happy, lives have been lost and found and given and even through changes and worst nightmares, there is a happy ending.
I urge you to check out this show, seasons one through three are available on Netflix. You will not regret this choice, you may even go on a journey with them, but keep in mind that even in the darkest of hours, they do end up happy, whatever that may be you will have to watch to find out!
XOXO Lauryn

No comments:

Post a Comment