Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Knitting Start

When I started knitting I was really excited and I couldn’t wait to start the scarf I had been dreaming about making. I seemed to have set myself up for failure. I was only about 9 or 10 at the time and that is quite a daunting task to have to complete, needless to say as I was just learning I got discouraged very quickly. I saw that while yes, I was making progress it was still so far that I had to go so I got extremely frustrated. It really turned me off of knitting for a long time. In fact about 8 years.
When I started college I met this amazing girl, her name is Lauryn. I thought she was stalking me the first week because we had 3 classes together. We became fast friends and she reintroduced me to knitting. At first I was just extremely jealous of all the fun it looked like she was having. I love being crafty and making things and not being able to take part was not fun. However, a couple days later she re-taught me how to knit. At first I had no project in mind and was just practicing the motions. When I had the stitch down it was time for me to start a project. The first thing that came to my mind was a scarf. So I said I wanted to make a scarf. She gave me the oddest look and said “are you sure?? That’s like hard. “And thank goodness she did because I totally forgot that is what got me into the mess in the first place.
I then was at a lost for what to make so I then Lauryn started listing off suggestions. I decided on a head wrap. I was so eager to start and I worked on it avidly. I finished it in about 2 days. Having completed my first project by myself it boosted my confidence immensely. After making the one head wrap I ended up making 4 more to give as Christmas presents.
Making head wraps are an excellent first project to try and I would really recommend it. You should start with an easy project that will build your confidence, i.e. not a scarf. I have recently moved on to harder patterns and am currently working on a hat. But if I get over whelmed I just pause and think how I can do other things and can do this. It was a learning process that I am still going through. I have yet to attempt a scarf but I do see it as a project in the near future.           
If you get discouraged because you picked a hard project, added or dropped a stitch don’t freak out it is not the end of the world! One mistake or even a couple wont ruin a project. Have fun and knit on!
XOXO Tessa

1 comment:

  1. Oh Muffin, just you wait.

    My first "real" project was the Irish Hiking Scarf...which I stupidly gave to my sister-in-law (well, she wasn't at the time but she is now).

    Then there was the flurry of scarves and pot holders for the wedding party.

    After that, I never wanted to see another scarf again.

    My next "big" project was a sweater...which I can no longer wear as we live in San Francisco and it just doesn't get cold enough here (we're from Wisconsin originally).

    I've been knitting for about 4.5 years now...I have 70+ projects listed in Ravelry (and those were the ones I was fussed enough to put there in the first place). Also, Ravelry...if you haven't visited, you need to :) Beware, it's Facebook for knitters (and crocheters and spinners and weavers)...with patterns!

    ~ Renee (renny1780 on Ravelry, if you're there)

    ReplyDelete