Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Art of War: A Knitter's Tale

Over the past week I've completed two knitting projects, with a total knit time of about 15 hours. Which is a totally normal time and week, if I had not done the projects all in one go.

The first project was a dishcloth that my mom now has and is currently using, this took me 5 hours. I watched a good amount of the West Wing while making it, even if I missed out on a very good portion of sleep to do it. That same Monday, Tessa was asked to make a diaper cover and bow tie set, thinking she had time she agreed and started on it. Although quickly finding out that her window of time to make them shrunk down to only a few days, I enlisted my help, and boy was it war!

I started the day before it was supposed to be done, and I finished the next day at nearly 5 o'clock, an hour after it was supposed to be done. I'm not sure where I hit the point in which I no longer cared about how it looked, as long as it looked done, but I hit it hard. I had messed up on a big portion of it and did the wrong stitch, instead of seed stitching I ribbed. I remember looking at this is a blank face trying to decide if I cared or not, it was hardly a battle.

I managed to finish it, and I'm honestly not sure how, I was very sleep deprived and the whole time is just a passing blur. My fingers hurt so much, what with the tiny ends of the needles poking into them so much, and my hands knew the movements so well I was sure that I would just keep knitting if I fell asleep. Which turns out to be untrue, for I did fall asleep and no knitting got done for several hours.


Lesson learned: DON'T TRY TO KNIT A PRETTY BIG THING THE DAY BEFORE. NO. DON'T DO IT. DO. NOT. DO. IT. DON'T TRY TO ATTEMPT IT. JUST DON'T. YOU ARE BEING RIDICULOUS. NOW.
Lesson for people who want other people to knit them things: I don't care how good of knitters they are, or how fast, GIVE THEM AT LEAST A WEEK TO KNIT THE THING. MORE IF IT'S A BIGER PROJECT OR MORE COMPLECATED. TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT AND SEE HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE THEM. DON'T JUST ASSUME IT WON'T TAKE LONG. OR YOU HAD BETTER BE PREPARED TO PICK UP YOUR OWN SET OF NEEDLES AND GET TO WORK.

xoxo (gossip) Lauryn


No comments:

Post a Comment